Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Pho and happiness

Multimedia message


This morning, Alba and I ventured forth into the wilds of our new city. We had a full morning of various kinds of B.S. -- picking up a volunteer application for Dave from the public library, getting my car cleaned from the dregs of our 500 mile move, dropping off the financial aid form at the Y. After all of that, the little girl said, "Mama, I'm hungry."

Lucky for me I live near Colonial and Mills, which is the heart of the Vietnamese shopping district. Many of my favorite restaurants (so far) are here, and I remembered that my mother had mentioned Pho 88 as an excellent place for all my vermacelli needs (of which I have many).

The menu is the usual pho fare -- rice dishes, noodles both dry and wet, and spring rolls, egg rolls and various simple but tasty dishes. Some come with a side of fresh basil and mung bean sprouts, but I have yet to decode which these belong to -- the brothy noodles, I suspect. Pho broth is rich with the flavor of meat and basil, and I could drink it all day long like a small pho broth vampire.

Today, Alba managed to impress the server by finishing 2/3rds of her enormous helping of rice with barbecue pork (no small feat for a four year old). I had a vermacelli bowl with roast beef and egg rolls, and the most heavenly side of thick iced Vietnamese coffee (the kind that comes with condensed milk) ever.

Oh yeah, it'll be a favorite lunchtime spot.

Multimedia message

No comments:

Post a Comment